Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Encyclopedia Of Jerry Garcia Music Venues

Five years ago I began collecting data for Jerry's Brokendown Palaces, and although the blog's 428 venues are no longer updated, the project has evolved into The Encyclopedia Of Jerry Garcia Music Venues.
Alphabetically by state, there are 1190 venues that include interview, rehearsal, recording, performance and canceled show venues.
It's mainly about the history of each venue including architects, builders, owners, opening night performances and other notable appearances, murals, paintings, statues, stage prosceniums, backstage areas, pipe organs, secret rooms, hidden tunnels, restorations and demolitions.

The Encyclopedia also covers Jerry's history at each venue and includes the bands he played with, opening acts and in some cases via dated photos and videos, what guitar he was playing, and other anecdotal information.

I've added eye witness reports to as many specific dates as possible. The stories are unedited and contain the wild adventures that we all know, love and remember so well. If you're reading this it's likely you have a story to be published in the Encyclopedia. Tell about your adventures at a specifically dated Garcia related performance and have them published in the Encyclopedia!
If you'd like to share your story you can email me at slipnut01@gmail.com.
I can help you figure out the correct date of your story. Tell all your friends about this project. I've already gathered about a thousand stories!

Thus far I have over 900 venue photos approved by over 700 photographers, college and private libraries, historical societies and museums. Only 160 more to go as there's no photos of the canceled venues in the book.
There aren't any Jerry photos (well, maybe one that no one has ever seen from 1967) just photos of the venues themselves, and in some cases, Deadheads.
I'm planning to self publish a printed hard copy and e-book. Maybe 5000 1st Edition Deluxe copies, autographed of course!
I envision a large book, carved leather bound hard cover, this is a book that resembles the records kept for medieval pilgrimages to holy sites. People will want to know centuries from now where it all took place...so there ya go.

If your interested in obtaining this publication you can send your email and I'll keep you informed on a publishing date, close to Spring 2016.

Harry G Angus
slipnut01@gmail.com

8 comments:

  1. This is my first time i visit here. I found so much entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work.

    Mixtapes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happened to stumble across your blog while researching the Music Concourse in GG Park, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an incredible site! So happy I happened upon it. I am in awe of your work and efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this site! Any update on the print book? Can I pre-order a copy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nick, Send your email to slipnut01@gmail.com and I'll let you know when it's published.

    ReplyDelete

  6. You have a nice blog! I love it, I am very entertained and I learned a lot! I will follow all your posts everyday! You are a genius indeed and all of your words are meaningful, I will promote your blog to my friends and I am very sure they will also like your blog!

    Hot Artz
    Move Igniter


    ReplyDelete