|Ritchie Coliseum 1932|
When Ritchie Coliseum opened in 1930, the seats were cast-in-place concrete bleachers.
Ritchie Coliseum, named after then Maryland governor Albert Cabell Ritchie, was built in 1930, at a cost of $200,000, to replace a facility known as "the Gymnasium" as the home arena for the basketball and boxing teams. The arena was built by the H. D. Watts Construction Company, which was owned by Harry Watts, an alumnus who played as a fullback on the football team from 1901 to 1903. The building hosted the basketball and boxing teams until 1955, when it was replaced by Cole Field House centrally located on the campus.
For 26 years at Ritchie Coliseum, basketball games were held immediately before or after boxing matches.
University of Maryland Commencement 1933
This historic building was renovated in Spring of 1997 and is a multipurpose campus facility.
The floor dimensions are 11,000 ft2 (1,021.9 m2) with a surface of maple hardwood. The official seating capacity was originally 1,500. Currently, there are 1,900 total seats.
Jerry performed here on
1.)^Johnny Holliday, Stephen Moore, John Feinstein, Hoops Tales: Maryland Terrapins Men's Basketball, p. 149, 2006, Globe Pequot
2.)^David Ungrady, Tales from the Maryland Terrapins, p. 46–55, 2003, Sports Publishing LLC.
3.)^Morris Allison Bealle, Kings of American Football: The University of Maryland, 1890–1952, pp. 41–47, Columbia Publishing Co., 1952.
4.)^Ritchie Coliseum, Athletics Department, University of Maryland