Paul Monaghan, who had rendered the elaborate plans for Villanova's physical expansion, was the architect for both Vasey Hall and the Field House.(1)
Officially opened on April 1, 1932 as the Villanova Field House, it was originally built at a cost of $350,000. When it first opened its doors the college’s enrollment was approximately one thousand students.(2) It included a swimming pool.(2)
The most storied player in Villanova history, Paul Arizin, played during this era, 1946-1950.
|Paul Arizin 1952|
Once the home of both the Wildcat men's and women's basketball teams, the building is currently home to the women's volleyball squad, as well as administrative offices and training facilities. In 1932 a swimming pool was completed.
It has permanent seating for 1,500 in the sideline balconies of the building, and can accommodate more with temporary seating on the floor of the arena.
1/23/72 Howard Wales
1.)^Recognizing Excellence, http://www.villanova.edu/library/archives/sesquicentennial/case13.htm?page=446.htm
2.)^Contosta, David R., and Gallagher, Dennis J., Villanova University, 1842-1992: American--Catholic--Augustinian, pg 108, http://books.google.com/books?id=UvkoDjdphhcC&pg=PA108&lpg=PA108&dq=villanova+field+house,+architect&source=bl&ots=cvnVaq8c04&sig=aWA07__yq5iGJhSsKnfrkqcA6sI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Rk3ET8jMK4bhiALxzdmoCA&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=villanova%20field%20house%2C%20architect&f=false