Friday, October 12, 2012
Pritchard Gym, S.U.N.Y. 1 Center Drive, Stony Brook, NY
The Pritchard Gym is one of the original buildings built on campus in 1969 when the campus moved to Stony Brook from its Oyster Bay location. William E. Pritchard died in 1982.
The gymnasium is 20,000 square feet and has 3 regulation basketball courts that can be divided by a moveable wall into 2 separate rooms. The smaller part of the gym is equipped with drop down batting tunnels used by the baseball and softball teams during the winter months and inclement weather. The gym is primarily used now for physical education classes, recreation and team practices.(1)
In the summer of 2008, the gym underwent a $1.5 million renovation to upgrade the seating, add a new scoreboard and refinish the hardwood floor.
• Stony Brook Sports Complex: The main Complex in which most of the sports activities take place.
• Stony Brook University Arena: Currently under extensive renovation, the 4,000 seat arena will again serve as the home of the Men’s and Women’s basketball for the 2012-2013 season. It is located in the west end of the Stony Brook Sport Complex.
• Pritchard Gymnasium: Built in the early 1960’s, the 1,700 gymnasium is located within the larger Stony Brook Sports Complex and is the temporary home of the Seawolves Men’s and Women’s Basketball and the volleyball team.
• Dubin Family Athletic Performance Center: The performance center began construction in mid 2011. An 8,000-square-foot (740 m2) facility completed in late May 2012. The facility will be named after the Dubin Family who donated over $4.3 million for the construction of the project, the largest athletic donation in the SUNY system.
• Stony Brook Swimming Pool: Home to the Stony Brook Seawolves Men's and Women's swimming team. Located within the larger Stony Brook Sports Complex. Bleacher seating for 250 spectators. 25 yard length pool. Renovations scheduled for the 2012-13 athletic season. Swimming programs on hiatus until completion
Jerry performed here on
5/4/68 Grateful Dead
10/30/70 early and late shows New Riders Of The Purple Sage and Grateful Dead
10/31/70 early and late shows New Riders Of The Purple Sage and Grateful Dead
12/9/77 Jerry Garcia Band
2/24/80 Jerry Garcia Band
12/4/83 Jerry Garcia Band
2.)^Stony Brook University Plans Historic Reunion, 2012-03-07, http://commcgi.cc.stonybrook.edu/am2/publish/General_University_News_2/Stony_Brook_University_Plans_Historic_Reunion_for_1961-1981_Alumni.shtml
3.)^Stony Brook University Arena on GoSeawolves.org
4.)^Pritchard Gym on GoSeawolves.org
5.)^Dubin Family Athletic Performance Center on GoSeawolves.org
7.)^Hoover, Mildred Brooke, Kyle, Douglas E., Historic Spots In California, pg. 602, books.google.com/books?id=AYMPR6xAj50C&pg=PA602&lpg=PA602&dq=william+e.+pritchard,+1982&source=bl&ots=8RQcN1rdx9&sig=_dsglUKx2gGheBmENv8NQpacWpE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=DGULUICdM86J2AXArf39Dw&ved=0CEoQ6AEwADgK